29 imagesBoccadasse (Bocadâze in Genoese) is an old mariners' neighbourhood of the Italian city of Genoa. It lies at the eastern side of the Corso Italia stroll, the main sea front stroll of the city of Genoa, at the feet of Via Aurora, a typical Ligurian narrow street ("crêuza"). The origin of the name is uncertain, one of the more reliable hypothesis is that the name comes from the form of the bay on which Boccadasse lies, thus the name should be the shortening of the Genoese for donkey's mouth bócca d'âze. Another theory is that the name derives from the torrent that used to flow through the village, the Asse, therefore the name should mean outlet of the Asse. The village of Boccadasse attracts tourists. It is enclosed in a narrow bay, at the eastern side the cape of Santa Chiara with a castle (a new building in the style of a medieval castle), on the western side the rocks, and in the middle the tiny cobblestones beach where the seamen's small boats rest.
12 imagesThe Lighthouse of Genoa (Italian: faro di Genova, but simply called Lanterna), is the main lighthouse for the city's port. Besides being an important aid to night navigation in the vicinity, the tower serves as a symbol and a landmark for the City of Genoa. At 249 feet (76 m) it is the world's fifth tallest lighthouse and the second tallest "traditional" one, built of masonry. Since 1543 and until the construction of the lighthouse on Île Vierge in 1902, it was the tallest lighthouse in the world. Considered as a whole with the natural rock on which it stands, as it is commonly perceived and represented, its height is 383 feet (117 m). It is constructed in two square portions, each one capped by a terrace; the whole structure is crowned by a lantern from which the light is shone. Rebuilt in its current shape in 1543 replacing the former lighthouse, it is the world's third oldest lighthouse, following the Tower of Hercules in A Coruña, Spain, and Kõpu Lighthouse, on the island of Hiiumaa, Estonia.
38 imagesThe Doge's Palace (Italian: Palazzo Ducale) is a historical building in Genoa, northern Italy. Once the home of the Doges of Genoa, it is now a museum and a centre for cultural events and arts exhibitions. It is situated in the heart of the city, with two different entrances and façades, the main one on Piazza Matteotti, and the second one on Piazza De Ferrari. The first parts of the Palace were built between 1251 and 1275, during the flourishing period of the Republican history of Genoa, while the Torre Grimaldina (also named "Torre del Popolo" - Tower of the People) was completed in 1539. The palace originated from the acquisition by the commune of Genoa of houses of the Doria between San Matteo and San Lorenzo churches (1291), after which the construction of an annexed new building was started. To this, in 1294, a tower of the Fieschi family was added. The palace was restored in the 1590s by Andrea Ceresola. Around 1655, the Ducal Chapel was frescoed by Giovanni Battista Carlone and Domenico Fiasella. In 1777 it was subject to a fire, and was subsequently rebuilt in Neoclassicist style by Simone Cantoni. On the main floor, the so-called Piano Nobile, are the frescoed halls of the Maggior and Minor Consiglio, where many public events take place. The Palace of the Doges was restored in 1992, in occasion of the celebrations of Christopher Columbus and the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America. In July 2001 the Palace hosted the G8 Summit, which was attended by the leaders of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, United Kingdom and United States.